Tuesday, April 10, 2007

No Pasting But Where's the Beef?

Gigya announced its new product WildFire that supposedly makes it easier for content providers to distribute widgets and other social syndication content. The premise is that instead of users cutting and pasting HTML code or Javascript onto their blog or webpage they can post content directly from the site of a WildFire enabled site.

The idea I suppose is appealing if you believe that in order to expand beyond tech savvy Generation Y, social media activities must become a point and click activity. As someone looking to integrate widgets into the product I am working on I can certainly see the benefits. I tried posting to Friendster but it didn’t work.

Nevertheless my appreciation of the concept was hampered by the fact that I couldn’t see an actual working example. Also I wonder how the end user can position the widget on his/her page if it is automatically posted? Finally it’s unclear to me how Gigya intends to make money with this automatic codeless widget-producing API.

No comments: